To support financially non-profit member organizations serving Wimberley.
The Wimberley Village Store was conceived in year 2001 as a fund raising mechanism for Wimberley Valley Habitat for Humanity. Four partners joined together and purchased a local consignment store at 450 River Road. They then created the non-profit 501(c)3 organization that would serve to operate the WVS. Shortly thereafter the volunteer base was expanded to include other local non-profit organizations. The WVS Board of Directors was also expanded to include a representative of each non-profit.
Today, the WVS operates with five non-profit organizations. Currently, over 65 volunteers provide the staffing to keep the store running efficiently and effectively. Collectively, the volunteers provide over 10,000 hours of support each year. Beginning with a distribution to member organizations of $8,400 in its first year, the WTS has provided over $1.5 million to the five member organizations. The amounts given to each of the five non-profit organizations is based on the number of volunteer hours donated by each of the respective entities.
The WVS has a 14 year track record of being able to cover costs of running and maintaining the store while at the same time distributing 100% of net earnings to the five non-profit partners. Staffing costs are kept to a minimum through the reliance on volunteers who generate up to $14 an hour for their respective organizations, depending upon the net revenues in any given month. Through the services provided by the five non profits, the WVS has become a meaningful and integral part of the Wimberley community.
- Emily Ann Theater – Home to Shakespeare Under the Stars, an educational program for high school students from around the country. Hosts other community events such as the Butterfly Festival and the Christmas Trail of Lights.
- Habitat for Humanity – Builds simple, decent, affordable homes for people in need who are willing to partner in the building process by contributing up to 300 volunteer hours during construction.
- Keep Wimberley Beautiful – Keeps Wimberley beautiful, clean and environmentally healthy through the work of volunteers. Provides holiday decorations for the Cypress Creek bridge.
- PAWS Animal Shelter and Humane Society –Provides a long term no-kill shelter and adoption for dogs and cats that are homeless, abandoned or abused and provides spay/neuter for cats in Wimberley.
- Wimberley Players – Enriches, educates and entertains audiences by providing superior theater experiences in Wimberley.